Although bed bugs are common reason to call pest control, there are many other types of desert bugs that are common in this area. Below we go over some of the best tips on how to get rid of bugs and what to look out for.
- Characteristics: Small household and garden pests. Ants live in colonies of up to 500,000 and can relocate quickly in large numbers. Ant life cycles are very long and common worker ants can live up to seven years.
- What They Do: Ants build nests for the colony in and around your home. They are able to get in through very tiny cracks and are attracted to sweet or greasy foods.
- How to Get Rid of Them: Seal entry points and try natural ant repellents, like coffee grinds or cinnamon. Orange Guard is also a non-toxic ant repellent available commercially.
- Characteristics: Bees are usually a golden yellow color. Wasps and hornets look slightly different and can be larger, but have similar color schemes.
- What They Do: Both commonly build nests in empty man-made structures.They seek out sweet things. A sting for those with allergies can be deadly; for those without allergies, they may cause irritation or swelling.
- How to Get Rid of Them: Containment traps and essential oil sprays may discourage populations. Fake nests are available for purchase commercial and can help deter wasps from building a nest in the first place.
- Characteristics: Fleas are a reddish-brown color and are extremely small (⅛ inch long). They are narrow with six legs. They can be found nearly everywhere, but make their homes in human hair or animal fur.
- What They Do: Bite. These bites can be more serious and dangerous than other similar pests as fleas are sometimes carriers of diseases like tapeworms or typhus.
- How to Get Rid of Them: Vacuuming frequently and washing pets frequently with flea soap can help. Traps that function by emitting light and heat also work to help capture fleas.
- Characteristics: Mites are not visible to humans without a microscope. They are typically found where people and animals are, in places like the bedroom. Mites are attracted to humid environments.
- What They Do: Many are allergic to mites. Often, “dust” allergy reactions are caused by a build-up of mite body parts and feces.
- How to Get Rid of Them: Ways to combat mites include installing a dehumidifier, frequent vacuuming and mopping of sleeping areas, and regular laundering of bedding and bedroom textiles.
- Characteristics: Flies are dark grey or black and are everywhere – both inside and outside. They are attracted to garbage and anything that rots – for this reason, they are often found around areas that people and animals inhabit.
- What They Do: Not all flies bite, but any fly can spread bacteria and disease. Those that do bite can transmit human illnesses through blood.
- How to Get Rid of Them: Be sure to clean up garbage and spills as soon as possible. Traps like fly strips can be used to control flies that are already in the house. Window screens and sealers can be effective in preventing new flies from getting into the house from outside.
No matter the pest you’re dealing with, sometimes calling a professional is the best way to eliminate your pest problem. If that’s the case, Bug Guy Services is the best around and are now serving multiple locations. Get in touch with Bug Guys Pest Control at (760) 972-9678 or (760) 565-1203..