Bugs and insects can easily find their way into our homes. Worse, they can infest the walls, floorings, and various nooks and corners of your house. But what are those household insects that jump around your house? Are they dangerous?
To answer that, you first need to determine what are those household insects that jump. Then you can find out if the jumping insects are harmful to humans or pets. We will explore the most common jumping insects in the house that are found in and around California. As you will see, the insects might very well be springtails. We will also discuss how to get rid of tiny insects that jump, including springtails.
What are the Household Insects That Jump?
What insects jump and cause a nuisance in your home?
A range of insects can jump and hop in your home. They may be fleas, one of the most dreaded insects that draw blood from your pets. Fleas can jump and travel from one pet to another easily.
Apart from fleas, you may find bed bugs jumping around your linens and pillows. Bed bugs bite and can be really irritating. So, getting rid of them is needed for your own safety.
Sometimes, the jumping bugs may be fungus gnats. They don’t really jump but fly around your home.
While all the above insects are common, you most probably have a springtail infestation. They are common in CA and appear after a spell of rain.
What are Springtails?
If you’re wondering what bugs jump, then springtail may be a probable use. These are tiny black insects that are generally found in moist areas in your house. Some experts believe springtails can live anywhere, but kitchens or bathrooms make them more visible due to white walls or sinks.
Do springtails jump?
Springtails have a furcula that flung open when they are touched or disturbed. This makes them jump up to a height of 3 – 4 inches. You may find many springtails jumping up and down when you disturb them.
Springtails prefer indoors and are attracted to light. You can easily determine a springtail infestation by using a white piece of paper. Just put the paper where you think you might have springtails and check out the results. It makes spotting the bugs really easy.
Are Springtails Dangerous?
Are springtails injurious to health or property?
Springtails generally feed on mold and decaying vegetation. They don’t bite or harm humans or pets. You don’t have to fear springtails as they don’t cause any injury or infection to humans or pets. Additionally, they don’t damage properties.
However, a springtail infestation is not a pleasant sight. You surely don’t want the tiny insects to jump around your house. They may cause hygiene problems and land up in exposed food and drinks.
As a result, you should try to get rid of springtails the moment you spot them. We will discuss some easy ways to eliminate springtails below.
How to Get Rid of Springtails?
You may use a number of ways to eliminate springtails from your home. We will go over both natural and professional ways of springtail extermination.
Try out these natural ways to drive out springtails from your home:
- Inspect moist areas and mold growth: Springtails generally love to live in moist areas. They may set up homes in cracks in wooden walls and planks. Check your window sills, around the doors, and anywhere you find jumping insects.
- Sprinkle white vinegar: Mix the same amount of water and white vinegar and sprinkle around moist areas. This will remove the springtails from the cracks or areas. You can also sprinkle the mixture around moist areas around your home.
- Seal cracks and openings: Seal the cracks in your window sill or walls to ensure the springtails don’t return. However, be sure first to use a pesticide or natural solutions to remove the insects.
- Remove things that attract moisture: Springtails find their way into your home from the outdoors. They will breed in moist earth or wood scattered around your property. So, remove any unnecessary things outside your house where moisture can build up.
- Inspect drains and gutters: Water can accumulate in blocked drains or gutter after a storm. That provides an ideal spot for springtails to breed and multiply. Unclog all gutters and clean your drains to prevent any insect breeding. Check your AC unit and see the water drains off properly without accumulating in a place.
These natural ways will help you get rid of springtails. However, springtails can occur in large numbers that you may not be able to eradicate naturally. For such situations, try out the professional extermination methods.
- Use Pesticides
You can get multiple over-the-counter springtail pesticides. Some common ones include Cyfluthrin and Bifenthrin. You can spray these pesticides around areas of springtail infestation and cracks on wooden planks. After that, seal the cracks to get rid of springtails once and for all!
- Get Professional Pest Control
You may also contact a professional pest control company for the best results. Residential pest control will eliminate not just springtails but all jumping insects.
Calling professionals is perfect if you want solid pest control to leave no traces of springtails. Do get a quote from multiple companies in your area to get the best rates.
The household insects that jump in your home are most probably springtails. Even if they are not harmful, springtails can become a nuisance and end up in your food or clothes. You can use the natural ways we recommended to eliminate springtails. Else, you can hire a professional pest company to get rid of any jumping insects. Bug Guys Pest Control is your best bet in CA to live pest and insect free. We have more than 20 years of experience in dealing with pests, rodents, termites, and a range of insects and pests. You can schedule an inspection and get quick springtail management services right now.